What is ArcEm?
ArcEm is a portable open-source emulator for the Acorn Archimedes. It's capable of running multiple operating systems including RISC OS and ARM Linux.
ArcEm runs on:
- Amiga OS
- Mac OS X
- Microsoft Windows
- RISC OS
- Unix (X Windows)
If you're interested in helping the project, check out the developer page.
- 16th December 2012 – ArcEm 1.50 release
- The full ArcEm 1.50 release is now available for RISC OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Amiga OS – get it here. The source code is available and can be built for Unix-like platforms.
- 21st October 2012 – 1.50 alpha 2 for RISC OS
- An updated alpha build has been released for RISC OS – get it here. This version has improved error reporting, fixes to the tweak menu, and will run correctly on the Raspberry Pi.
- 23rd July 2012 – ArcEm 1.50 alpha release
- A new alpha build – ArcEm 1.50 alpha – is now available for AmigaOS 3, AmigaOS 4, Mac OS X, RISC OS, and Windows.
- 11th June 2012 – ArcEm still going
- May 2012 saw a push of a large number of updates, significant performance improvements from Jeffrey Lee.
New in ArcEm 1.50
- VIDC1 sound support on Amiga, RISC OS & Unix/X11
- Emulation of 512kB, 1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, 12MB, or 16MB of RAM
- Emulation of 'Extension ROMs' as found in the Acorn A4
- ARM3 emulation
- ArcEm clock set from Host's clock, partial RTC support
- Accurate video and timer emulation
- Display upscaling
- Rectangular pixel aspect ratio correction (RISC OS, Windows & X11)
- Significant performance improvements, making ArcEm run better on slow hardware
- When emulating RISC OS:
- HostFS - A RISC OS file system to allow use of a directory on the Host Filing system as a virtual hard drive
- Mouse Scroll wheel support
- Extra video modes, up to 1024x768 in 16 colours and 800x600 in 256 colours
- Acorn A400 with ARM 2 processor
- Runs RISC OS and ARM Linux
- 4MB of RAM
- Support for .adf floppy disc images
- Support for ST506 hard discs up to 64MB in size
Source code is in CVS:
Various builds of ArcEm are also available from 3rd party sources:
- Download autobuilt RISC OS package (ArcEm 1.00)
- Download binary versions for Mac OS X
- Download latest Amiga version
|File||Download Size||Harddrive shape (see User Manual)|
|Blank RISC OS formatted 800KB Floppy Disc Image||1.1KB|
|RISC OS disc with !HForm on, the hard disc formatter||14k|
|Blank RISC OS formated 20MB Hard Drive Image||40KB||612 cylinders 4 heads 32 sectors 256 record size|
|Blank RISC OS formated 64MB Hard Drive Image||65KB||1024 cylinders 8 heads 32 sectors 256 record size|
|A 64MB RISC OS Hard Drive Image Loaded with programs||Coming Soon!||1024 cylinders 8 heads 32 sectors 256 record size|
|ARMLinux Rom Image||335KB||2.2 Kernel|
|ARMLinux ext2 formated 20MB Hard Drive Image, with skeleton Linux distribution.||3.4MB||612 cylinders 4 heads 32 sectors 256 record size|
Please have a read through the User manual, to see if it answers your questions.
ArcEm uses SourceForge's bug tracking system, you can enter a bug report here.